Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Festival of Trees Designer Contest

So, mama-bear had a brilliant idea to enter the Bluffs Arts Council's annual Festival of Trees Designer Contest. "I will help you," she said. Of course I would not turn down anything design related. ...Or should I have? The story goes like this:

You have to choose a theme, so I went with Council Bluffs as my theme, and I also planned to use only recycled or second hand items. I was not going to purchase anything new, except spray paint. So we ramshackeld Nana's old Christmas decor and found some silver bulbs, some red apples and some fluffy metalic silver garland. So, I got out my spray paint to make everything look uniformed.

To create my Council Bluffs Theme I have decided to go with Black Angels, see CB's Black Angel below:
It might seem a little sacrilegious at first, but just think of it in terms of art... I began my hunt at the thrift stores for angels that I could possibly spray paint black. I know it still sounds strange. ART.
I am also going to spotlight our favorite black squirrels, some framed photographs of the well known Council Bluffs hot-spots, hopefully some of the Daily Nonpareil (turned into garland - having a tough time with that) and whatever other random Council Bluffs things we can come up with. Right now, I feel like this was a horrible idea as I am looking at our projects, the look more like kindergarten crafts. Uh-Oh!
What was I thinking? What a disaster. After 6 hours of crafts I looked at the mess scattered through the house and said to my mom, "I am going to be so embarrassed." But, like everything else I am sure it will work out.


No comments:

Post a Comment