Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A City Garden

With a major interstate only 2 blocks away you can only imagine the gardening limitations I face. Each year I try my green thumb a little more. Last year I learned that container tomatoes work quite well as long as you keep the squirrels and rabbits away. And HAIL! We had a major storm last year that left my hard work looking as though someone had run it through the garbage disposal... Think I'm kidding? See Below:
My lovely yard was full of shredded petals and what looked like snow. Sad day!
This year, however, has been a great year for my green thumb! I have all sorts of successful plants popping all over the yard. In fact, a lady from 3 blocks away stopped to say that she always includes my street on her walking path because she loves to see all the beautiful flowers and the well kept yard. What a nice compliment for this novice gardener! So here is a little peek of what she goes out of her way to see:

I am not even sure what these blueish beauties are called, I planted them 3 years ago and this is the first summer they have bloomed!


First year for these lilies too, transplanted form my parents' beautiful yard.

The community college in town has a plant sale where you can help their horticulture program buy purchasing plants the students grew. I make sure to attend every year, their plants are so healthy and affordable. Not to mention the proceeds go to a great cause. Here are a few from them:

And a bunch more from the college I arranged into 2 colorful pots for my front step.

I love all the delicate petals and the vibrant colors that welcome me home daily, but my pride and joy this year are my edibles, and they seem to be doing quite well! In addition to container tomatoes and habenero peppers, I also have jalepeno peppers...just look at this little guy. Isn't he adorable?

This is my first year trying herbs...my Oregano didn't survive, but check out my Basil and Parsley! I think it is ready for a tasting.

Up close and personal with Miss Basil herself...

Stay tuned for Operation: Backyard Overhaul. There will be some refinished patio furniture, a new garage and a privacy fence coming soon. Hopefully real soon. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment